I have been reading through Proverbs each day this month. I’m inspired every single morning. Here are a few highlights from this Holy Scripture book of wisdom – from just one morning!
1. When there is moral rot within a nation, its government topples easily. But wise and knowledgeable leaders bring stability.
2. Better to be poor and honest than to be dishonest and rich.
3. Young people who obey the law are wise; those with wild friends bring shame to their parents.
4. In the end, people appreciate honest criticism far more than flattery.
5. Greed causes fighting; trusting the LORD leads to prosperity.
6. Whoever gives to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to poverty will be cursed.
(Proverbs 28:2, 6-7, 23, 25, 27 NLT)
You can apply each of these almost immediately. A nation who strays away from truth will come to ruin quickly. A person who becomes rich through dishonest gain can never be happy. Young people who obey the law are wise but those with wild friends shame their parents – I’ve seen this over and over working with student ministry! The best way to help people close to you is to provide solid feedback and critique so they can grow in faith. Encouragement is good too, but flattery doesn’t do much for anyone. Greed can also mess you up – but trusting the Lord leads to prosperity.
And the final verse is powerful – whoever gives to the poor will lack nothing, but those who ignore the poor will be cursed. What a powerful statement for believers. We need to be looking out for those who are in need. We need to give.