We live 18 miles from the Mississippi River, the largest river in North America and the third largest in the world (just behind the Nile and the Amazon!). One of hallmarks of this region during the winter months is the nesting of the eagles – our national bird. Yesterday, we decided to go to an “Eagle Meet and Greet” at one of one of the river’s lock and dams. It was fascinating to see the eagles close up. And it was even more fascinating to learn (or re-learn, since I am pretty sure I may have heard before) about some eagle facts.
– The eagle is the only bird unique to North America.
– They are renowned for excellent eyesight.
– The eagle mates for life – one male, one female. Once paired, the bald eagles remain together until one dies.
– One of only a handful of endangered species that have fought their way back. The bald eagle was placed on endangered species list in 1967, but by 1995, was upgraded to threatened.
– The bald eagle was chosen on June 20, 1782 as the emblem of the USA because of it’s long life, great strength and majestic look.
So what similarities does this bird, chosen as the emblem 230 years ago (even though some were outspoken against it), have with our country today? Based on the characteristics of eagles, here are some of the things I thought of:
1) We need to continue to be uniquely US.
2) Continue to be renowned for excellent vision.
3) Continue to uphold marriages of a male and female, mating for life.
4) Keep fighting to not be placed on the endangered species list.
5) Live up to our characteristics of long life and great strength.
The bald eagle is plastered on buildings, statues, money, and documents. It’s a reminder of what freedom is like and can be like.
2 thoughts on “Learning from Eagles”
Good day pastor.The Eagle Bird has 32 characters it shares with divinity.These characters can inspire man to greatness.i.e. Leadership,Parenting,divine wisdom,energy,speed,peaceful warrior,Action,focus,youthful age,finishing strong,freedom,Vision, and lots more.It’s wings,eyes and feet speaks of God’s nature as asserted in the Bible. Why does the Eagle after many years of dominance becomes a prey? Does the Bible shows how the Eagle can be seen in each persons of the trinity? These and many questions was answer in my book title ‘Self Discovery’ The Eagle Bird Gives A True Picture of Divinity.visit http://www.redleadbooks.com and search for it. There is alot of biblical,historic and poetic proof. I shall be glad if you reply me. Thanks for your message…Its nice and inspiring.
Very interesting stuff… thanks for your comment.