Four Crucial Attributes For Your Church Staff And Leaders

church-staff-attributesOne job that cannot be delegated, for any senior leader, is to get the right people in the right places on your leadership team. The question, “Can and does this person get things done?” must be asked and answered about each person filling the positions in your organization.

In their book, Execution – The Discipline of Getting Things Done, the authors list these four attributes for the kind of people you should be looking for and developing:



1) They Energize People

An energizer helps enhance the performance of those around them. They help people feel like they can achieve. Energizers don’t have to be high energy people, they just have to help other people know they matter. As an example, even non high energy personalities can devote their focus and physical presence when someone is talking with them – this one little thing can help energize.

2) They’re Decisive

I once heard it said that lots of people can do 95% of most CEO’s jobs, but it’s the other 5% the CEO gets paid for. Good leaders are decisive, especially on tough issues – they are able to do something with it.  It’s good to gather information, but you have to come to the point where you make the decision – right or wrong.

3) They Get Things Done Through Others

Too many of us feel like we would just rather do it ourselves. We have this sense that no one else can do what we do. Without being able to work through others, we will never get as far as we otherwise would. Getting things done through others starts with the admission that you can’t do it as effectively on your own. You must determine those things someone else could easily do – and most likely would not only love to do, but would do better than you. Pastors and leaders must create a culture where it’s safe for others to take the mantle, to lead, to serve and to use their gifts and abilities in accomplishing the mission.

4) They Follow Through

Follow through is a huge part of success. Others in your organization are counting on the senior leaders and those with roles of authority to follow through. One of the quickest and surest ways to undermine the credibility of the leadership / management team, is to make a habit of not following through. Responding to messages in a timely manner, doing what you say you will do, and sticking to deadlines is critical for quality leaders. You must celebrate when your leaders follow through well and you take swift action when they don’t.


Five Actions For Ministry Leaders

Everyone Wins When The Leader Gets Better

Why Frustration is a Powerful Tool For Change (And Six Steps You Can Take)

Subscribe to Tim Price Blog Updates

Leave a Comment

18 + 16 =