If you work with the next generation in local church ministry, you no doubt have an event on the horizon. Either a one night gathering, a weekend event or a trip. Here are 11 steps to get it off the ground.
- Pick a date 3-8 months in advance (depending on how large the event is)
- Check over all possible conflicts on school, church and home calendars
- Determine the goal for your event – outreach? discipleship? fundraising? mission event? community building?
- Pray for your event. Expect a great turn out. (Develop a prayer team for your event – before and during)
- Partner with someone – area church leaders, community event organizers, mission organization, retreat center, school, etc.
- Develop a team for budgeting, promotion, programming, planning, execution – not a ton of people, but each must have a clearly defined role.
- Promote through church publications, social media, community, denomination, students, and families.
- More promotion: follow up with phone calls to specific people, make personal contacts. Be sure you have some commitment and ownership.
- Reconnect with the key parts of your event – if you have a band coming, talk with them. A speaker? Follow up. Traveling do an event, double check details.
- Delegate food prep, technical aspects, set up, registration, graphics, and anything else you can think of.
- Enjoy the event, then follow up with thank you, connections, and contacts.
If you need a worship band for a student ministry weekend, family ministry night or children’s event, let us know! We’d love to be a part of it.