Session 2 Video Summary:
- We give God glory and credit for all that God is doing in our ministry together.
- Second Session Word: Incarnational Ministry
- Definition of Incarnation
- We model how Jesus came to us – Phil 2 – we must have the same attitude as Jesus, taking on the humble position.
- We have an opportunity to go where kids are.
- Famous picture – the word became flesh. It’s a powerful reminder for each of us. We must go where kids are.
- Most students will remember more about what is said while we walk with them, than when we are standing in front of them.
- The whole team, not just the lead youth worker, must go where kids are.
- It’s not easy to step out of our organized adult life into the world of teenagers.
- Story: God answers: “You can leave, but I’m staying.”
- Practical ideas for engaging in incarnational ministry: hunting vs fishing; gifts; social media; phones…
- Our job is to leave where we are and go to them. It’s what Jesus did for us. Incarnational ministry.
SESSION 2 – DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:
- What stood out for you in this session?
- In what ways are we already “going to where kids are?”
- What would it look like if we took incarnational ministry seriously for the next 60 days?
- How can social media, texting and other online connections make this easier?
- In what ways can the whole church get involved in this process?
SESSION 2 – ACTION STEPS:
- Make a list of all the places the students are in your community.
- Make a list of all the possible ways you could go to them. (visit the brainstorm of the list we made during the training event)
- Decide on a practical way your team will be incarnational this week.
- How will you use social media and devices to connect to students this week? Be intentional, but don’t get too caught up in the process – just connect with students!