“It’s hard for me to explain this production. I’m just enjoying myself.” – Beltran
“I’m going to have to watch that game over again. It really hasn’t sunk in.” Mike Matheny
“The message was pretty consistent: keep playing and something good’s going to happen. It became contagious.” – Mike Matheny
These are just a few of the quotes that have come through the twitter feed. And they give us five insights into momentum.
1) Momentum is nearly impossible to define and pinpoint. You have to enjoy it while it’s happening. And you need to keep moving forward in it. Take risk while you are experiencing momentum.
2) Momentum begins to bring successes and it’s hard to grasp at times. Stay grounded as you are experiencing a wave of momentum. This will help you calculate, define, plan and glean what can be taken from this wave and be used to keep it going or create it again.
3) When the whole organization is looking ahead to something good happening, it doesn’t matter how bad things are at the current moment. You have to keep vision in front!
4) Momentum is contagious – when it begins to move forward, everyone jumps on board. Use these times to involve people, connect people and get things going.
5) Even me, a relatively non sports person, is pulled in by the incredible and historical surge the 2012 St. Louis Cardinals… Momentum in one organization can help change the culture around them.