1) Piled all the pillows and blankets we could find into the living room and jumped in the pile. After a while, we jumped through the hula hoop and from a chair. It was a blast and not only kept a 7 and 3 year old busy for a couple hours, they’ve been doing it ever since as they have had time.
2) Blowing up the air mattress. Jumping into blankets evolved into getting out one of the air mattresses. For some reason, it’s like a magnet for little kids. They fall on it, run and flop on it, and just love it. Every time we have need for blowing it up, they want to play on it. This time, we just blew it up so they could play on it.
2) Drove to the appliance store and got a refrigerator box. They said those things aren’t as common as they once were because the packaging is changing to shrink wrap and Styrofoam. But, luckily, for us, one model still comes in cardboard, and they still had one empty box flat and ready to go. We squeezed it in the car, ducked down, and drove home. You can do all kinds of things with a big free box. We painted ours with a scene on it.
3) Drove to ACE Hardware for popcorn. The kids love it. And it’s totally free. I think they probably know us down there at Ace. Most recently, we used a Ace rewards card to buy some trash bags and got some popcorn on the way out.
4) Went to the park the first day it got to 50 degrees. It was a fun little outing as the winter is slowly coming to a close. It was still a little chilly, but it was a great hour.
5) Made a video. My daughter has been running around making a documentary of our family on the video camera. Haven’t done much with it yet, but it’s virtually a free activity so far.