Giving helps shape our lives. As Christ-followers, giving generously is part of our DNA. Christians should be in a church and committed tithers.
Tithing creates a lifelong discipline of putting our trust in God and not in ourselves or our financial situation. We are blessed to be a blessing (Genesis 12:2).
Kingdom work beyond our local church
We have many opportunities to join in kingdom work – consistently or at least here and there.
Supporting missionaries is one big way. When you’re praying for and giving to mission work, you’re helping the kingdom come about in concrete ways. You’re building relationships and having fun serving together. It’s a blast. Our family is proud to support missionaries who currently serve here and around the globe.
As a side note, giving should not be our only form of mission; we need Christians from all walks of life to serve, go, share, disciple, witness, and be actively involved in ministry and mission.
You are invited!
Today, I want to extend an invitation to be a part of the mission with Harvest Ministry during our annual Harv-A-Thon. We will make giving joyful and fun since God loves a cheerful giver (2 Corinthians 9:7). The event is mostly online: Facebook Live or on our website from 5-9 PM on Thursday, November 18 (see links at end). If you’re in our area, you’re invited to join us in person at Troy UMC as part of the live studio audience (first time ever).
Here are a few things to know:
1) Harvest is a nonprofit organization and any financial gift is tax-deductible, similar to other churches and mission organizations.
2) You can give a one-time gift (online or in-person) or partner with us by giving a monthly gift. Monthly gifts are simple to set up. Even small monthly gifts, given consistently, snowball to make a tremendous impact and encourage us. Whether you give monthly or one-time, God will use your gift in mighty ways.
3) Harv-a-thon is a huge boost for the over $100,000 annual budget for Harvest. In 2019, $10,000 was given during Harv-a-thon. In 2020, $20,000 was given. This year’s goal is having 321 different people giving to the ministry. That’s why we need you! This is a God-sized goal because we don’t how it can happen. Reaching this goal means three times as many people giving as last year.
4) Why 321? We thought it sounded fun, it’s exactly three more times more than the 107 people who gave in 2020, and a verse keeps coming to mind: Ephesians 3:20-21: “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen.”
5) How can someone give? You can easily give through the following:
6) What can I expect watching online? We’d love to have you join us on Facebook Live, even if you pop in and out. We will have fun sharing stories, music, videos, testimonies, jokes, and more. At the end of the evening, we will announce the total number of people who gave and how much was given.
7) What can I expect attending in person? In addition to the above, you can enjoy refreshments. We will have the Harvest Resource Area set up and you will have the opportunity to shop. Please let us know if you plan to join us in person.
8) How is the money used? Money raised for Harvest is joined together with the other ministry revenue (such as honorariums for events, sale of resources, grants, etc.) to help accomplish our mission: To GO OUT to share the love of Christ and serve in the church and world, and to RAISE UP the next generation of disciples and church leaders. Money given helps us to:
- Keep gas in the van.
- Provide salaries (set in advance by the board of directors) and team honorariums.
- Host conferences and bring in speakers and leaders.
- Produce music and resources.
- Provide internships.
- Pay for insurance, office stuff, and other expenses.
- Fund anything else it takes to keep plugging away at the mission to GO OUT AND RAISE UP.
If you give a one-time gift or commit to a monthly gift, you join the Harvest family and join hands with us as we go to serve.
Truth be told, we invest most of our limited time going, leading, traveling, serving, thinking, praying and singing, so we may not be as diligent with staying connected to all our ministry partners. But the faithfulness of your giving and the fruit from your partnership is felt and making an impact in us and in the lives thousands of teens over the years. For that we are grateful!
We are so thankful to have your support! If you’ve read all the way through, you’re a trooper!
If you just skipped to the end, here’s the summary: WE ARE PRAISING GOD FOR YOU AS YOU JOIN US IN HAVING FUN GIVING TOWARD THE WORK OF HARVEST MINISTRY. THE 2021 HARV-A-THON IS ALMOST HERE! JOIN US ON THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 18 ANYTIME BETWEEN 5:00 – 9:00 PM.